UK Border Agency

Calls to this number cost 7p / minute plus your network operator’s access charge.

Opening Hours

Monday-Sunday: 08:00-18:00

When it comes to making sure that you are living and working legally within the UK, the UK Border Agency, or UKBA, was once your only port of call. Since then, they have been rebranded as the UK Visas and Immigration service, and have been streamlined into the government’s online portal, GOV.UK, to help make things easier for you. Any concerns regarding working via visa or taking up residence in the UK should be addressed via UKBA customer services on 0844 556 9344. This hotline is set up to help those who are currently in the UK, or those who are set to move over for work, family or asylum reasons.

As the Home Office, responsible for the UKBA helpline, handle many different queries and concerns, there has been a helpful departmentalisation. This means that you can now call the number that is most relevant to your needs should you wish to make an enquiry about your status while in Great Britain. While the UKBA contact number above will aid you in the majority of queries, you may need to address something more specific – and we’ve compiled a table for you below to help break this down a little further for you.

Why you may need to call the UKBA support services

Your reasons for calling the helpline will obviously vary with your circumstances, or those of your family. You may be wishing to work, to come over for a short stay, or to seek asylum. Regardless of why you wish to stay in the country, the Home Office has set up the UKBA phone services to ensure that all of your concerns are addressed at the exact point of you calling. This makes it more convenient for you in the process. The GOV.UK website also provides a fantastic breakdown of what is expected from you, and what you can expect from the service. Some of the main reasons you may wish to call the hotline are as follows:

  1. Arrival enquiries
  2. Work visa enquiries
  3. Short or long stay queries
  4. Asylum applications
  5. Application appeals
  6. Sponsorships
  7. Website support
  8. Family visa queries
  9. Studying in the UK
  10. EU and EEA enquiries
  11. Statelessness
  12. Complaints

As you can see, the scope of the UKBA service is rather broad – which is all the more reason to find the right number for you in the table we have provided above. In addition to this, you may find it helpful to know a bit more about the departments and areas that the UK Visas and Immigration service can cover. These are as follows:

  1. Work Visas
  2. Student Visas
  3. Family Visas
  4. Short Stay Applications
  5. Long Stay Applications
  6. Advice and Support
  7. Legal Advice
  8. Decision Appeals
  9. Asylum Seeking
  10. Arrival Support
  11. EA, EU and Commonwealth
  12. Transit Visas
  13. Stateless Enquiries
  14. Sponsorships

While many of the queries related to immigration and working in the UK can be addressed via the helpline on 0844 556 9344, it is a good idea to find as much information as you can through your specific port of call if you wish to save time. Certainly, you can be assured of dedicated support and advice no matter which area you need help with.

Commonly Asked Questions

Will Brexit affect me as a UK citizen?

It is not currently clear exactly when the change in EU Membership for the UK will come into place, nor how it will affect existing EU citizens. Negotiations are set to begin in 2017. It is highly likely that any changes made to the movement of people to and from the continent will be laid out and explained in further detail as and when the process is complete.

How do I apply for a work visa?

Work visas will vary depending upon the type of work you wish to undertake, and the amount of capital you have behind you. Visas are supplied in tiers which may require you to have a good working knowledge of English and various paperwork at your disposal. Visa applications are generally completed online via the GOV.UK website.

Can I make a complaint?

Of course you can – however, as the Home Office is a big department, they do not have a dedicated UKBA complaints number set up at this time. However, they have made it easy for those who wish to escalate a concern to do so in writing, either via email or via post. We have included these details at the bottom of the page.

I need to appeal a decision that’s been made. How do I do this?

The GOV.UK website has a fantastic guide on how to start or process your appeal, alternatively you can call the UKBA telephone number to speak to a member of staff who will be able to give you more of a breakdown on what is expected from you. You are entitled to appeal against any decisions the Home Office has made if you feel they are unjust and that you have reason to do so.

Making a complaint

The Home Office operates several different areas and is therefore keen to encourage all customers to call the relevant helpline when in need of support. However, there may be occasions where the UKBA phone number is not enough to help address your concerns. Should you wish to escalate a complaint about the service you have received or the level of professionalism exhibited by the Home Office, you are encouraged to put such concerns in writing – and we have provided full details on who to write to below.

Connecting with the UK Border Agency

You View The Official GOV Site

Connect with Home Office onTwitter

Connect with Home Office on YouTube

Connect with Home Office onLinkedIn

Connect with Home Office onTheir Blog

Connect with Home Office on Flickr


Official Address

UK Border Agency

Home Office

2 Marsham Street



United Kingdom


Opening Hours:

Phone: 08445569344

Click here for a bigger map.