Tax Credits

Calls to this number cost 7p / minute plus your network operator’s access charge.

Opening Hours

Monday-Sunday: 08:00-18:00

If you live in the UK, are supporting young children or are subject to little to no income, there are many ways that you can seek for financial assistance from the government. While many people are eligible for certain benefits, grants and more besides, many more are also able to claim money regularly through the tax credits system. The tax credits contact number is set up to ensure that anyone who may benefit from their financial support can gain the help they need in applying, making amendments to details and more besides. Run through the Tax Office, you can contact tax credits customer services on 0843 816 6326 seven days a week.

Tax credits are generally offered to UK citizens who may be looking after children, or may be subject to low income despite working a certain number of hours. Child tax credit and working tax credit are the two main forms of this support, and anyone can apply for them either via the GOV.UK website, through paper forms in the post or via the tax credits contact number. Regardless of which option you take to apply, you will need to ensure that you have as much information available as possible so that you may be able to provide accurate data on your circumstances and your earnings.

Tax credits help a huge array of people up and down the country and, as such, their support team is relied upon to offer friendly, comprehensive advice and guidelines on what to expect when claiming. Claiming for grants and benefits can seem like a tricky process at first, however, there is a wealth of information online, offline and through the helpline to help you make sure you get as much money as you’re entitled to. Your eligibility will be judged on a case-by-case basis, which means that you can expect to receive a decision judged upon the details you provide to the government.

We have located and provided the most useful tax credits departments and details on the claiming process for you below – making it easier for you to get the financial assistance you need, when you need it. It’s recommended, too, that you call the helpline if you are in any doubt about your eligibility, or if any changes have been made to your circumstances since you initially applied and received a grant. This second part is very important, for reasons we will go into a little further down the page.

Why Should I Get in Touch with Tax Credits Staff?

If you are unsure whether or not you qualify for child tax credit or working tax credit, the first thing to do is always call the relevant team. We’ve included information for you in a handy table further down the page, which aims to make your route through to the right people as simple as possible. Whether you are starting a new claim, requesting documents or informing the team of changes to your personal circumstances, getting in touch via telephone is often the quickest and best way to do so.

The Tax Office and HMRC are responsible for all communication and supported provided via the tax credits helpline, which means that they should also be further pillars of support for you if you are in any doubt regarding your application. If you need to start a claim, amend a claim, cancel your grants or wish to make a complaint – whether about child tax credits or about working tax credits – the catch-all tax credits telephone number will be your first port of call.

There are also other ways to get in touch if you need to – again, we have included details on how to approach the Tax Office through other means at the bottom of this page. This may be particularly useful if you need to escalate a complaint, or wish to send in certain documents. If your query is urgent and you cannot hold on the line, webchat services are also available through GOV.UK during business hours.

Making a Complaint

Making a complaint to the Tax Office is easy, and while there is no specific tax credits complaints telephone number in place at this time, you are encouraged to call the main helpline for any support you need urgently. This is a great way to ensure that you concerns are tackled head-on, as many matters can be addressed and handled at the point of first contact. If, however, you have further concerns about the way your claims have been handled, or wish to escalate matters further, you can do so.

You can write to the Tax Office directly for written support – it is recommended that you forward any formal queries through here for HMRC to address directly. However, it must be noted that if you wish for a particularly speedy response, contacting HMRC or the Tax Office via the tax credits helpline or through webchat and social media may be a more preferable avenue.


Am I eligible for child tax credits?

You could claim for child tax credits if you are responsible for children under the age of 16, or under the age of 20 and in certain education disciplines. You will receive a certain amount per child you are legally responsible for, and further criteria must be met in terms of whether or not you qualify as ‘responsible’ for the children’s welfare – for example, if you fund them, live with them or are responsible for their general welfare, it is likely you will qualify. You don’t have to be working to qualify.

How much may I receive through child tax credits?

You may receive a ‘family element’ of up to £545 per year, and up to £2,780 per child (the ‘child element’) per year. You may receive additional grants if your child is disabled or severely disabled, which will be added to your base entitlement. You will be paid every 4 weeks up until the end of the tax year each April.

Am I eligible for working tax credits?

To be able to receive working tax credits support, you will need to be over the age of 16 and you must work a certain amount of hours per week. For those under 60, you must work at least 30 hours in a week – and for those who are over 60, are disabled or a single parent, you must work at least 16 hours to be able to benefit. You can be an employee, self-employed, or a combination of both – however, self-employed people may not be able to benefit unless they are not working regularly or overseeing a profit. You may, however, be able to qualify should you earn less than the national minimum wage. There is no set limit for income, as your claim will be based entirely on your personal circumstances.

How much may I receive through working tax credits?

As a lone employee working at least 30 hours a week, you may earn up to £810 a year in working tax credits. Disabled workers can receive up to £2,970, while single parents and couples can expect up to £2,010 in grants. You may receive more if you suffer from severe disability, and additional grants if you pay for approved childcare (calculated per child).

Why do I need to report a change in my circumstances?

Changes in your circumstances that may affect your eligibility for tax credits must be reported as soon as possible. This is because the amount you earn through the system can go up and down with slight changes. If you do not report changes such as those to your family situation, to your employment or to your health with 30 days, you may be fined up to £300. This fine can increase to £3,000 if you are found to have supplied false or invalid information to to HMRC and the Tax Office – whether without due care or intentionally.

How can I apply?

Applying for tax credits generally takes place via form, however, you can request and order documentation online, or via the tax credits phone number. By calling the team on 0843 816 6326, you can arrange for specific forms to be delivered to your home address. Simply fill these in and return them to complete your claim. It can take up to 5 weeks for a claim to be processed once you have sent forms back, and it may take up to two weeks for forms to arrive at your address.

Other Ways to Contact Tax Credits Staff for Support

Tax Credit Calculator –
 Get in touch with HMRC through Twitter and get support for you tax enquiries by clicking here.
Official Addres
Tax Credits HM Revenue and Customs
Tax Credit Office Comben House
Farriers Way
L75 1AX
United Kingdom

Opening Hours:

Phone: 08438166326 Click here for a bigger map.